Steam Wave Carpet & Upholstery Care
Carpet cleaning is both art and science. A true professional should be knowledgeable and experienced with the various methods used in the process of cleaning. And they should be willing to educate their customers like we do here at Steam Wave Carpet & Upholstery Care.
The first thing we talk to customers about are store-bought carpet cleaning products which often leave residues and set stains. This makes it harder for professional cleaners to neutralize and extract problem spots from your floors and carpets. It’s actually best not to use store bought products but instead, have an expert assess and advise you on these problems.
What you can do is keep up with regular vacuuming of carpets, rugs and upholstery. This helps prevent pollen, dust, dander and dirt from being pushed and matted down deep in the fibers of your floors and furniture. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) recommends that you vacuum once a week for every person in your household. So, for a family of four, it’s best to vacuum four times a week. Remember, maintenance prevents damage and prolongs the life of your floors!
Stain Removal Step-by-Step
We realize you can’t call us every time juice is spilled or your pet has an accident. That’s why we leave behind a FREE bottle of Home Pro Spotter with every customer. Now, here’s how to tackle a stain:
Prepare the Area:
- If the carpet is already dry, vacuum the general area thoroughly
- Remove solid materials or scrape up semi-solids with a spoon or dull knife
- For fresh liquid spills, blot up as much fluid as possible – do not rub
Clean the Stain:
- Make sure the spotter won’t discolor carpet by testing an inconspicuous area
- If there are no adverse effects, apply as directed using a clean white cloth
- Wipe from the outside of the stain to the center to avoid spreading it
- Let sit 3-5 minutes and if removed, rinse by blotting the area with cool water
- Blot dry – use regular or paper towels weighted down overnight if necessary